Recently my dad developed pneumonia and was hospitalized for 4 days. He's home now and using an oxygen tank. Between the oxygen and medicine, he says he's actually feeling better than he has in years. I'm relieved that he's finally receiving medical help. It takes him nearly dying to get him to see a doctor. In fact, the doctor told me when he arrived in the emergency room he was blue and barely able to breathe. (And you wonder why I worry about you, dad!)
At first, it was difficult to see him so dependent on the oxygen. Though, it's not a complete surprise. I've been preparing myself for something like this. My dad has been a heavy smoker since he was 14 years old. At one point he was smoking 4 packs a day (for those who don't know there are 20 cigarettes in each pack- so that's 80 cigarettes a day!). Though he was able to stop smoking for a time after I was born, he started smoking again after I was admitted to the hospital with Kawasaki Disease when I was 3. When I lived with him I would often awake in the middle of the night to his coughing fits. He would cough and cough until there was no more air to expel, gasp for air and cough and cough again. It would leave me terrified and wondering just how long I would have him around.
I want to share some great news. Yesterday (Monday) was 2 weeks since he was admitted to the hospital AND two weeks since he last smoked! I'm so so so proud of him! I can only imagine how frustrating and difficult it must be every minute to avoid smoking. He said he really feels like he can do it though. I'm just so happy for him and so happy for our family that we can see him in better health.
I love you dad! I'm so proud of you! Thank you!
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Happy News
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Russ - This is SO AWESOME!! Congrats on 2 weeks! I'm so relieved to hear you are doing better, and to hear that you've stopped smoking is icing on the cake! Keep up the GREAT work!! :)
Wow, that is so awesome! I can't imagine trying to beat something like that.
I'm so glad to hear that! He is such a sweet guy, I'm glad to hear he's out of the hospital and feeling great.
That is so amazing. I wish your dad the best!! Also- I didn't know, or maybe forgot- about you having Kawasaki disease! My neice was recently diagnosed with that and it was SCARY!
What a relief. Thank heavens for modern medicine!
Wow, that's great for your dad! I can't imagine how hard something like that must be.
Harder than anything I've done, for sure.
That is just awesome news!!
Seriously, that is amazing and I am proud of you Dad too! Way to go! I have a friend who's little girl had kawasaki (spelling??) disease about 2 years ago. I had never heard of it or knew anyone who had it until her- and now you. They were lucky they caught it. Scary stuff.
awesome awesome awesome rusti!!
So happy for your Dad, and for you.
What a huge thing to overcome.
THat's so great! You're such a great and supportive daughter!
I'm glad he is doing okay. I was thinking I haven't seen your page in a while and I read this. I'm sure he has heard of it, the prescription CHANTIX. Sean has now been smoke free for 3 months now with this. I know a lot of people that has taken this, and it has worked for all of them. It is a miracle. Give him all my love and say hello also from my family. Love you. Hugs and kisses to the fam!
Post a Comment