Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Oy!

When Oliver wakes up in the morning, he routinely throws out his blanket, pillow, sheet, mattress pad and pajamas. Then a couple of weeks ago, he took it too far.



His bed is now a blanket on the floor. I thought this was going to be a bit of a punishment for both of us. I was sure he'd be sad and miss his bed and I figured I'd be up several nights dealing with him getting out. Not so, he's really pretty pleased with his little bed. And even more surprising he sleeps better. The first night he got out twice, we closed his door and that was the end of it. He hasn't gotten out since. Meanwhile, we're looking for a good deal on a twin bed.

In other news, Oliver is going to have surgery in a couple of weeks. It's minor and outpatient, but of course I still hate the thought of it. He has a hydrocele/hernia. When I first saw the lump, worst case scenario was all I could think of. I called Emily to talk about it on my way in to the doctor’s office. Knowing it was probably going to be something much less dramatic, she still dropped what she was doing and drove 40 minutes to the office to meet me. She even brought food for my kids. The best thing is that she just brought a really positive attitude that made me feel like everything was going to be fine (and a little silly for being so dramatic). Seriously, she’s a great sil, a great friend, and a great person.

18 comments:

All8 said...

That's too funny that he prefers his bed on the floor. I hope that everything goes well with his surgery. (((HUGS)))

¨*:·.TIFF.·:*¨ said...

k i had no idea it was THAT bad! holy cow oliver you are one tough cookie. good luck on your surgery bud. we'll be praying for you.
as for emily - LOVE that girl. she is a remarkable person, as are you!

Danielle said...

OMG! I cannot believe he destroyed his bed like that! What a determined little boy!! I guess he really wanted you to know he was ready for a big boy bed, lol.
Hugs, everything will be good, I'm sure.

Ware Family said...

Oh my! Bed dismemberment of biblical proportions! Boys are so destructive!
I'm so glad Oliver's lump was nothing more than what it was.
I don't know if you have checked out jcpenney.com for bedroom furniture, but we got a great deal for the twins (and they won't even be in them for a year or so!). They were girl beds, but who knows, maybe you can find a good deal on cute boy stuff. It was all 50% off.
Good luck.

Englebright said...

aaah, MAN! That STINKS! I'm glad you found a solution!

Emily said...

Awwww! That was SO sweet of you! Thanks!! :)

Man, that mattress really got it, didn't it? So funny!

Amanda said...

I just can't figure out how he got started... did he borrow your seam-ripper? He He- Emily is so great! Seriously- I am glad that Oli is transitioning just fine to the floor! He's going to be one of those kids who has to know what's inside things... hide your clocks!

Kizzie said...

Talk about brute strength!!

Nelson said...

You should know that I am so proud of you!
You are such a great Mom.

Lindsay said...

Oh my goodness that is hilarious!! Crazy little boy! He must wake up thinking "how can I make mommy's day today?"

Tanya said...

Surgery is no fun for anyone. At least he won't be stuck in cast again, though!

carey said...

Good gracious!!! That's quite the little project he completed. :) Keep us posted on the surgery, Rusti, and good luck Oliver!

Amanda, Jack, Corban, Gabe, Chloe, and Rigby said...

wowie that kid was serious about his task at hand eh? that takes some commitment! good luck on the search- definitely try ksl classifieds- we got corban's twin bed for free.

Steph said...

I seriously love reading your blog. I wish I could write as well as you. You are so funny and have a great way with words. Sorry about the bed.

Jaynan said...

Ouch! That's some serious damage for such a little guy! Let me know if you need another crib mattress... I have an extra :).

The Ashtons said...

HOLY COW!! I'm impressed by Oliver, I had no idea... We need a couple new twin beds too if you find any. I hope Oliver's surgery goes well, keep in touch. Oh, I updated my blog finally, in case you ever check it anymore...

Tanya said...

I hope today was a good day (despite being at the hospital so early). It was fun to see RJ and Isabelle there. It made my morning. She's such an adorable sweetheart!

Lindsay said...

What the heck Rusti, I go to Hawaii for 3 weeks and there's no new blog when I get home???? Update me! Hehehe, see you next month at Bunco!