Monday, November 19, 2007

Oliver and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I still can't belive it! Oliver and Isabelle were just running and chasing each other in the living room when he took a spill and hit his knee. At first we didn’t realize the extent of the injury but it was clear that it hurt him to be moved and I knew that meant he needed medical attention. It broke my heart having to get him in and out of the carseat. It seemed like every turn or bump in the road was excruciating for him.

I took him first to the InstaCare where they took x-rays and found that he had broken his femur! They transferred us to Primary Children's where they're better equipped to deal with that type of injury. Grandma Virginia & Papa Tom met us there, brought us food and took Isabelle to their house for the night. She was so excited to have a sleepover with Aunt Hannah and we were relieved that she was taken care of and we could focus on getting Oliver better. Emily was awesome and stayed at the hospital until sometime in the morning. The power was acutally out for most of the night so the clock didn't work in our room and there was no tv or magazines. She was basically in time deprivation. I felt bad that she was up so late, knowing she'd be going home to a newborn who would likely wake her right after she'd get to sleep. But having her there was really comforting. I just felt better being able to talk to her about what was going on.

While were waiting for the OR doctors, Oliver was showing Grandma his IV.


He went into the OR just before midnight. It was so hard to be apart from him. He looked so small in the big hospital bed they wheeled him away in. Thankfully, he did really well and they had his cast on within 20 minutes and we were able to see him shortly after that. From then until about 7:30 I stayed up with him. He tried to sleep but had painful muscle spasms at least every 10 minutes. Once we were able to get some food in him he perked up a bit. At first, he wasn't interested in eating and when he would eat he would fall asleep mid-bite. That was until the nurse brought cheetos, lol! He went to town on that bag!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We’re home now and he’s doing SO much better. We’ve found a good balance of medicine for his pain and he is having fewer and fewer spasms. He’s definitely happier here and it’s so good to see him smile and be goofy again. He’s not loving the cast, which is understandable, but we’ll be able to get him out of it in 5 weeks. I don't know what clothes I'm going to be able to put on him but even with the cast, he's still handsome! :)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

9 comments:

Mrs. Walker said...

Poor little man! So sad so close to the holidays too. :( I hope he gets feeling a lot better soon!

Danielle said...

Poor Ollie! That stinks! Sounds like he was a brave lil trooper. Kids are so amazing. Good luck with coming weeks, if you need any help, call!

carey said...

So sorry to hear about little Oliver! Those pictures break my heart. :( Hang in there!

Thierry said...

I am so sorry to hear all about that! That is the saddest thing I have ever seen! He sounds like he was very brave! I hope he heals fast!

All8 said...

I hope that you're still hanging in there and that your little man gets feeling better soon. I also hope that it heals quickly and well.

Tanya said...

It's not fun to see him in that cast...at least you'll always know where he is! He is such a cutie. I loved how he blew kisses to us, you have such a great little boy!

Anonymous said...

Your poor baby! I feel so bad. My nephew broke his femur and had to be in a simlar cast when he was about 7 months old. It was so hard to see him at the hospital like that. Now he runs around as good as new! Hope your little buddy is feeling better!

Lupe said...

What a awful day! It breaks my heart just reading about your ordeal! You're so blessed to have wonderful friends and family to support you! Poor Oliver!

Laura said...

Aaaw, how did I not know about this? It is really sad but those are some awesome pictures you have for him when he's older ;) I hope everything's getting better now.