Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Drum Roll Please...


That thumb has been dry for 48 hours, people! 4-D-8!

Since finding her thumb at a couple weeks old, Isabelle has steadily become more devoted to thumb sucking. Now, at 4 and a half, I feel an urgency to get her out of the habit. The shape of her mouth has definitely changed, both thumbs are quite calloused, and I’m sure she’s putting every virus she contacts directly into her mouth. {{shudder}}

Tuesday, after talking to her once more about the effects of this habit, I painted her thumbs with Thums (a yucky-tasting nail coating). This didn’t work well in the past as she would just continue to suck her thumb until it was gone. (I told you she was devoted.) It’s been almost a year so I thought I’d give it one more shot and it seems to be helping this time. I’ve made sure she knows it serves as a reminder, not a punishment. That and lots of praise for withstanding the urge has really given her the desire to kick it. I know it’s especially hard for her not to do it in the car and when she’s going to sleep. She’s been doing so well! She hasn’t sucked her thumb since Tuesday when we put the Thums on! Woo-hoo!!! I’m so happy. :) Wish us luck.

8 comments:

Sharla said...

Aww, what a cutie! And good for her habit-breaking abilities-- now, I just need something icky tasting to paint on all the sweets I like to nibble on. :)

Emily said...

Woohoo!!!! I hope she keeps up the good work! Maybe we could start making pretty little gloves that have a velcro closure around the wrist so they can't get them off.... lol

tara said...

oh boy. I guess I'm glad I never had a thumb sucker. I tried to force the thumb-suckage but they never took to it. It's just so blasted CUTE:)
good job on the giving it up part:)

Kizzie said...

My parents tried everything to get my brother to stop sucking his thumb, they finally paid him $100 when he was like 11 to get him to stop. That did the trick!!!

sue said...

Thums? Where do I buy it? Sounds like something I should try. Wyatt sucks his thumb like a mad man. I keep asking him to stop and he doesn't, go figure. (I'm adding your link to my blog, ok? :)
Suzanne

Tanya said...

Yay for Isabelle! That's exciting that she's working with you to break the habit. Good luck, I hope it's gone for good!

Kristi said...

What a sweet girl she is!! She is doing so great--that is one habit that is hard to quit. Here's hoping she kicks it!!

All8 said...

Good Luck!! DS #1 used to chew his finger nails and it took some major willpower for him to quit. Congratulations to Isabelle!!!

Thank you for your prayers and sweet comments. ((HUGS))