Friday, December 28, 2007

This Time of Year

New Years never makes it on anyones Favorite Holidays list. Why is this? I love this time of year. Not just Christmas time but this time, after Christmas when the new year is about to begin. We are about to create a new chapter and we can make it whatever we want it to be. It’s so refreshing. Like starting over. There is so much I want to do next year and right now it all seems very possible.

We had a wonderfully busy Christmas. Truthfully, I wasn’t looking forward to Christmas this year. We were visiting four parents, all separate. We do it every year. We want to make everyone happy, but always the result is that no one is happy. Almost as soon as the presents are opened it’s time to say goodbye and rush off to the next house. I always feel such guilt about it. And the kids hate to have to leave just as they are getting comfortable. Thankfully, this year RJ’s dad was at his mom’s house to pick up his youngest sisters so we were able to have a gift exchange with him there. What a relief! Just one less stop makes things so much easier. And, the best thing about Christmas this year, the kids didn’t complain once when it was time to go. Miracle of miracles!



Putting out our "reindeer food" on Christmas Eve.



Isabelle rushing out to see what Santa brought.


Oliver loves his glow-in-the-dark dinosaurs.

He held onto the chocolate covered pretzels the entire time. He would suck all the chocolate off and give me the pretzel center. lol

I asked him to show my his chocolate face.

10 comments:

Anna said...

I feel you on all the places to be. Our parents are divorced and all remarried and all live within a half hour of us. I feel like we open presents and basically leave. This yr we downsized, visited on other days and it was great. Your kids are so cute and looks like they had fun. I think Oliver's fav present must be the use of his legs back!

Emily said...

Hehe - that pic of Isabelle looks like she's doing a 70's disco pose.

Love the reindeer food idea - I've never heard of that! What is that anyway - birdseed? lol

carey said...

Great post! I love this time of year too, but struggled with the idea of being everywhere at the same time. I'm so glad everything turned out and that you had a lovely Christmas!

Nicole said...

I totally see where you're coming from. We had three different houses to go to on Christmas. Then...there's always Christmas Eve. We all were so pooped when we got home on Christmas day. I'm glad it's over. My favorite part of this time of year is that my hubby's home more. Hope you have a great New Years!

Laura said...

New Year is MY favorite. Back home it's everyone's favorite. So much so that it has it's own name - Hogmanay. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys had a nice holiday. That would for sure be hard, going from house to house.

Lupe said...

What a busy holiday season! Yet it was worth it, check out those sweet pics!

Thierry said...

I love the reindeer food! How fun! I am so excited for next year when Hayden will be more excited for Christmas! Hey- I made my blog private so email me at thierryleigh@gmail.com and I'll add you to the list of people who can read it!

Ware Family said...

I love New Year's but pretty much just because it means December is over, lol!

Laura said...

I forgot to tell you that my little sister did the reindeer food thing with The Cambino last year when he was 3. He thought it was reindeer poop... Yeah. That one didn't work so well.